Cumberland/Perry Community Support Program Advocacy
Mental Health and Intellectual and Developmental Disability Services, and most other areas within the Human Services areas were severely adversely affected with the last round of cuts a couple years ago.
Since those cuts, utilization of higher levels of care have followed, which increase the costs associated with treatments.
The Human Services delivery system can not sustain another round of severe budget cuts. Even a budget with no cuts, but no increase in resources to support the need for lower levels of care, end up reducing the available budgets for valuable programs and services, as the demand for higher levels of care eat the resources that are available for funding lower levels of care.
Some resources to read to help write your story of how you are effected by cuts to the behavioral healthcare system.
What can I do?
- Need help writing your story? An article on How to Write Your Story for Advocacy Letters & Presentations is now available to help provide some ideas on how to write your story. You can use this format to write letters to your legislators, as well as for presentations.
- Write the Governor, and your state legislators (both Representatives and Senators) a letter briefly describing you (or your loved ones) right after you (or they) were first diagnosed, which services and supports were critical as you (or they) moved through your (or their) recovery journey. What your (or their) life is like now, so that they can see how the systems provided at the county level affects real lives, and made real change in your (and their) lives.
- Focus in general on the types of SERVICES and SUPPORTS, and the benefits that you or your family member has received from them, not on a specific PROVIDER of those SERVICES.
- The address to send your letter to the Governor
Governor Tom Wolf
225 Capital Building
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Find your legislative representatives. (Enter your address on the form on this page - and draft a letter to your PA House & PA Senate representatives.)
- Find your legislative representatives. (Enter your address on the form on this page - and draft a letter to your PA House & PA Senate representatives.)
- While sending to the governor and our legislators are most important, you can also send a copy of the letters to the Secretary of the Department of Public Welfare, and the Deputy Secretary of the Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, and the County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania.
- Teresa D. Miller
Acting Secretary, Department of Human Services
333 Health and Welfare Building
Harrisburg, PA 17120
- Ellen DiDominico
Acting Deputy Secretary, Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
PO BOX 2675
Harrisburg, PA 17105
- County Commissioners Association of Pennsylvania
PO BOX 60769
Harrisburg, PA 17106-0769
Send a copy of the letters to the County Mental Health/Intellectual Disabilities office, and they can help to make sure that those letters get to the County Commissioners of both Cumberland and Perry Counties.
Cumberland/Perry Mental Health/Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Administrator
16 West High St.